Mac OS & Linux
How to Setup a Darknode via Digital Ocean (DO)
- 2.Enter your personal and payment information
- 3.After confirming your email, you'll be taken to the Welcome screen. From here, navigate to your Control Panel.
- 4.On the bottom left-hand side menu you will see the "Account" sub-heading.
- 1.Click 'API'
- 2.Click ‘Generate New Token’ with default settings, both write and read checked.
- 3.Save your API Token Address in a secure location! Make sure you keep these values secure, anyone with access to them will be able to control your Darknode.
- 4.Move to the next step below.
- 1.Open your Mac 'Terminal'
- 1.Open your terminal by searching for 'Terminal' in the 'Launchpad' app
- 2.Insert this text to install the CLI, by pasting:
curl https://www.github.com/renproject/darknode-cli/releases/latest/download/install.sh -sSfL | sh
- 2.It will take a minute or two. Once successfully installed, you'll see some green text.
- 3.Now, close the Terminal app and re-open.
- 4.If everything goes well, you should see 3.1.3 when you run
- 1.Open the Terminal app on your computer
- 1.Then copy and paste the following:
darknode up --name MY-FIRST-DARKNODE --do --do-token YOUR-API-TOKEN
- 2.Replace MY-FIRST-DARKNODE and YOUR-API-TOKEN by
- 1.Inputting a name for your Darknode but make sure it has no spaces in it or is not too long.
- 2.Input your Digital Ocean API Token found in step 1.
*Example of what this would look like: darknode up --name darknodeone --do --do-token 1111aca25cc77d84299e3b8a0f76f2ec33a27b1782adc2a7a96f0468116edf46
- 1.Press enter and wait approximately 3-5 minutes while your Darknode is installed.
- 1.Don’t touch anything, let the CLI works its magic and wait patiently!
- 2.When completed, the CC should open automatically in your browser but you will also be provided a link (in green) within the terminal. If it doesn't open automatically in your browser, copy and paste (the relatively long green link) it into the web-browser. Either way it will take you to the new Command Center!
- 1.Some tips to keep in mind
- 1.Turn off all ad blockers (and "shields" if using Brave).
- 2.If using a Ledger via MetaMask, make sure your “Contract Data” is turned on.
- 1.Bookmark your CC Webpage!
- 1.Note: One cannot just send REN to your Darknode because this will not cause it to be registered and you will lose you REN.
- 2.Sign into MetaMask as you normally would and ensure the 100K REN are in the account.
- 3.Register your Darknode
- 1.Click the ‘REGISTER YOUR DARKNODE’ button (top left) in the CC.
- 2.Submit your 100K Ren via MetaMask instructions, signing the presented transactions.
- 3.Once completed, you will be notified that your ‘Registration is in Progress’.
- 4.Wait patiently for your Darknode to be fully registered (can take up to 28 days).
- 5.The CC will not function fully until the Darknode has been fully registered, so don't be alarmed if you explore the CC and buttons don't function properly. Just wait to explore until your registration is complete.
- 4.[Very important step!] Back up your Darknode file by inputting this into your terminal and pressing enter:
cp -r ~/.darknode ~/Desktop/darknode-backup-2021XXXX(i.e XXXX = A date of your choice). A backup folder will then appear on your Desktop, save this somewhere safe!
- 5.After the (up to) 28 day waiting period, check back on the CC to formally register.
Review the NETWORK INFORMATION tab on the right-hand side of the CC for details. The CC should also note that you Darknode is 'Registered' on the top-left. Step 5: Congrats, you're all done and remember to periodically check on your Darknode.